Wednesday, February 8, 2012

City Provisions

I love delis and I am always excited when a new one opens up in the City.  This one has been open for a couple of years but we finally just made it there this week.  Straight ahead, when you walk in the door, is a counter where you can get a variety of coffee drinks and a few bakery type items.  As you move to the right there is the deli counter where you can order sandwiches for lunch or items from the case, such as different types of salads and mac & cheese squares, which I believe change a bit depending on the season.  As you continue around the corner there is a selection of cheeses, wine, and other specialty items.  Next to the  cheese is the register where you pay for your food. 

When we first came in everyone who worked there was very nice to us but, I have to say, it seemed as though the other customers were less than thrilled that I was in there with a child.  I only had one of my daughters with me and she was very well behaved the whole time we were there but I think with some people the sight of a child annoys them.  No other children were in the restaurant the entire time we were there (probably about 45 minutes), which was a little weird to me since a few blocks away in Lincoln Square there were probably kids having lunch in every restaurant.  The crowd was kind of hipster, which was weird to me in that neighborhood.  There were people "working" there who really just looked like they were hanging out.  They had their laptops out but mostly were just talking to other people so really how much could one child be bothering them.

I ordered a smoked turkey sandwich with Gouda and rosemary mayo to share with my daughter and a cup of chicken noodle soup (one of the soups of the day) for her.  The food was really good, especially the chips.  My daughter downed her soup.  However, when I paid the bill it was $15!  And we didn't even get drinks.  I know you are paying for high quality ingredients but it seemed a little high for this neighborhood.  Although, I have to say, we were there at lunch time on a week day and it was decently busy.  There are a few communal tables when you first walk in and then counter seating and two small tables in the other room. My daughter and I tried to sit at one of the communal tables but the people who were already sitting there (only one person per table with seating for 6) were giving me the "I don't like kids" look so we sat in the other room at the counter. It actually worked out OK since we could look out the window and see the Brown Line trains going by and luckily she did not fall off the stool.  I think when it is warm out there is also outdoor seating.  

The hours here are great.  The shop is open from 8 AM until 8 PM Tues. through Thurs. (closed on Mondays), 8 AM until 9 PM on Fridays, 9 AM until 9 PM on Saturdays and 10 AM until 3 PM on Sundays.  City Provisions is located at 1818 W. Wilson.  Parking is relatively easy along Wilson.  We parked for free just a block down from the restaurant.  Also the Damen Brown Line stop will get you relatively close.  

I think City Provisions could be a great place to hang out, have brunch or dinner (they have beer on tap) with your adult friends but it just isn't a great place to take small children for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment